Understand which caps ought to be changed, what the leading brand names are, just how to utilize the Mouser internet site as well as examine the capacitor specs. See exactly how I select caps for the Macintosh SE/30 motherboard.
For the “supply appearance,” choose the “Panasonic OS-CON.” They have the most affordable ESR, however leak is two times Polymer Tantalum.
Desire the most affordable Leakage Current? Opt for the “Kemet SOLID 25V Mid-height.”.
If you desire the best Tantalum listed below, in regards to being much safer from a voltage spike that could eliminate the cap, the “AVX Polymer 25V Full-height” is suitable, albeit a little bit expensive. Also a 16V Polymer Tantalum is “secure” with the SE/30 motherboard’s 12V however, so practically any one of the Polymer Tantalums listed below are great options for that application.
I do not like fluid electrolytes, so I directly will not utilize Polymer “Hybrid” Aluminum Electrolytics; yet I noted that Hybrid cap since it practically will function great as well as transcends to a routine light weight aluminum electrolytic.
SE/30 MOTHERBOARD CAPACITORS.
Instead than provide you a Mouser Cart for the SE/30 motherboard, I rather supply web links listed below to specific capacitors on Mouser. That offers you flexibility to pick a Can-shaped capacitor for a supply appearance, or your preferred tantalum.
2:47 Which Caps to Replace
7:53 How to Choose Replacements
10:29 Measure Capacitance with an LCR Meter
13:15 Measure Physical Size with Calipers
18:45 Substitute Radials for Axials?
20:49 Buying Online: Mouser & Digi-Key
28:27 What is RoHS?
36:06 Capacitor Brands
40:05 Practical Example: SE/30 Motherboard
1:06:50 Organic Polymer Capacitors & “Hybrids”.
1:11:50 Closing Words.
There are 10 47uF caps on an SE/30 motherboard: C1, C3, C4, C5, C7, C8, C9, C10, C12, C13.
47uF 16V Polymer Aluminum Electrolytic Caps:.
– United-CC HYBRID! CAN-shape: https://bit.ly/3piGizK.
– Nichicon CAN-shape: https://bit.ly/3nNl50j.
– Panasonic OS-CON CAN-shape: https://bit.ly/37IlZWj.
– Wurth CAN-shape (High however low-cost Leakage!): https://bit.ly/3phJyvc.
– Murata Flat-shape (High Leakage! Harder to Solder!): https://bit.ly/3rh03tf.
47uF Tantalum Caps:.
– AVX Polymer 25V Full-height: https://bit.ly/3aHCvrH.
– AVX Polymer 25V Short (tougher to solder, yet less expensive than Full-Size listed below): https://bit.ly/3mqIJhP.
– Kemet Polymer 20V Short (more difficult to solder): https://bit.ly/3aCu7ta.
– AVX Polymer 16V Full-height: https://bit.ly/3nJ8nzR.
– Kemet SOLID 25V Mid-height: https://bit.ly/3riiC0d.
Staying 3 caps:.
– C6: 1uF 50V Polymer Tantalum: https://bit.ly/3pjk3cU.
– C2: 470uF Axial: https://bit.ly/38tPlXF.
Select just 1 of the complying with for C11 due to the fact that there are 2 Lead Spacing variations (inspect your SE/30 motherboard to figure out which you require):.
– C11 (for 20mm lead-spacing openings): 220uF Axial Cap (8mm size): https://bit.ly/3pivCkm.
– C11 (for 33mm lead-spacing openings): 220uF Axial Cap (6.5 mm size): https://bit.ly/2WuQprW.
Console5 caps (ask for Tantalum p/n’s): https://bit.ly/2LZpI9r.
SE/30 Schematics: https://tinyurl.com/y7tn62h4.
⚡ SE/30 Audio Circuit VOLTAGES: https://tinyurl.com/y88etn8u.
✴ NOTE: CAN-shaped Polymer Aluminum Electrolytics like OS-CON have greater leak existing than Polymer Tantalum, and also a lot greater leak than Solid Tantalum or normal fluid-filled Aluminum Electrolytics. That leak specification does not matter for the SE/30 MEGABYTES, yet is a problem in circuits where reduced power issues, like battery-powered gadgets.
Taking off Tantalum Capacitor clip thanks to Lindhtech Light & Magic, Stockholm: https://youtu.be/BDpSX_jvZag.
– Vintage Apple Macintosh Enthusiasts: https://bit.ly/2YgpDRb.
– 68kMLA: http://68kmla.org.
– Vintage Macintosh Restoration & Preservation: https://bit.ly/2XKFzfK.
Amazon.com (United States) Affiliate Links:.
– Mitutoyo Calipers: https://amzn.to/2WHRARF.
– DE-5000 * Handheld LCR Meter: https://amzn.to/2ScttJz.
Instead than offer you a Mouser Cart for the SE/30 motherboard, I rather supply web links listed below to specific capacitors on Mouser. – Murata Flat-shape (High Leakage! The Polymer really gradually deteriorates over time, however warm increases that destruction!
⚠ There are 13 caps in total amount on the SE/30 motherboard: 10pcs of 47uF and also 1pc each of 1uF & 470uF & 220uF. The 4pcs of 47µF which see 12V are: C3, C9, c4 & c10.
Superb video clip clarifying X & Y Safety Capacitors: https://youtu.be/fQSlo1zmAlA.
⚠ SOLDERING ADVICE! Maintain your 300 ° C to 350 ° C welding torch time to 3 secs or much less for either side of the capacitor, particularly for Polymer kinds! The Polymer extremely gradually weakens with time, yet warmth speeds up that deterioration!
Understand which caps ought to be changed, what the leading brand names are, just how to utilize the Mouser web site as well as review the capacitor specs. See just how I select caps for the Macintosh SE/30 motherboard.
ASSISTANCE THIS CHANNEL.
#capacitors #electronics #MacintoshSE 30 #JDW.